Tuesday 22 January 2013

Beginning in Nairobi

I've been in Nairobi for four days and have almost adjusted to normal sleeping hours. Each morning I am awakened by the Imam call to prayer - a haunting sound that draws me in to listen more intently to the sounds. Then the birds begin their announcements, competing with one another to give their morning news.

My first morning I went to the David Sheldrick Elephant orphanage but forgot to take my camera!! It was sweet as some of the elephants (6 months to 3 years) were cooling themselves but using their tusks to dust red earth along their backs. Monkeys along side the road - actually baboons I think, I'll have to check "the book". Then to a sanctuary to feed Rothchild's giraffes - although somewhat touristy it was interesting. Warthogs gobbled up what remained from the pellets that dropped on the ground from people too scared to allow the giraffe's tongue to touch them.

When I came back to my room and washed my face it was covered in red dust from the elephants!

It is beautiful here - sunny and warm. Bougainvillea of every colour, jacaranda trees and a sea of never ending traffic and people. Quick smiles greet me where ever I go! Yesterday I went to the Yaya Shopping Centre and discovered a brilliant book shop called Book Stop. I was early for a meeting and ended up spending an hour and a half purchasing only 4 books which showed great restraint! I will be back!

I was having lunch beside some long grasses. I kept hearing noise and seeing the grasses rustle. I thought I'd see a snake or some little creature. Out popped a pussycat post nap!

All my taxi drivers call themselves "Peter". As I get out of the cab, I am handed a business card in case I will be in need of a taxi again - which I definitely will as the distances and roads are chaotic to me. My current driver explains: "Just ask at the desk for Peter". When I say every taxi driver I have had is called "Peter" and perhaps he should come up with some different names to help identify himself to tourists, he explains that his Kukuyu name would be too difficult for tourists. 

Today, I'm taking my camera and returning to photograph the LF-ants.



1 comment:

  1. I can tell uou right now I wll be an avid reader of this blog, as your writing is so very descriptive visually, I can pretend I am right there.
    Thank you for the break from here, today was the coldest in years, according to weather forecasters,
    -23.
    Enjoy the heat!

    ReplyDelete