Wednesday 30 January 2013

Samburu to Nairobi to Nakuru


Yesterday (Tuesday) I left my friends in Umoja and Unity village to catch my 12 seater plane back to Nairobi. Apin and Harry came along to see me off as they'd never seen an airplane up close and I encouraged Harry (on the left here) to carry my bag (knapsack for a few days) so he would have an excuse to get inside the plane. He was very excited. It was difficult to leave this . . .
my view from my hut

what I see in the morning at Umoja camp

The flight was lovely , although the heat caused us turbulence and a woman in the seat across the way was having a fit as she hates flying at the best of times. I returned to Heron Hotel and as I was a return visitor, they gave me a huge discount and advised me on how to get a matatu and how to be safe! I have to say that Kenyan cuisine however, leaves much to be desired - at least in restaurants where they serve "mazoongus" (foreigners). I had a hot shower and then early night as I need to steel myself for the matatu ride to Nakuru.
A matatu is a 14 seater shared van. You get in and wait for it to fill up. It cost $4 to get form Nairobi to Nakuru but you should only travel by day as in the afternoon the driver may fall asleep!
Stay tuned . .  . 


1 comment:

  1. I love reading these tales of yours! I learned from Gloria that Kenyans give different food to foreigners because they believe it's better, but in fact the nutritional value is worse. For example they'll give you a white chapati and the whole wheat one is for them, but they believe white is fancier. Interesting right? Colour come into play even in food ;-)

    ReplyDelete