Sunday 10 February 2013

Sunday Ngong Hills

"I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills". 
(Isak Dinesen Out of Africa)

What a glorious day. Today, for the first time since arriving in Kenya three weeks ago, my body and lungs are worn out! I walked for four hours through these hills with my friendly armed ranger (I'm not close to her because I am scared, I just seem to be holding onto her - she has the gun after all;-).

The equator runs through this land about 55 km to the north. Ngong is the Maasai word for "knuckles" and is named such as they believe that a giant fell and took up the earth in his fist. There are four hills/ knuckles and on one side you can see the Rift Valley and the other onto the rolling hills that make up Nairobi.


What you do not see in this photo is the huge hill downwards and then we begun up again. The top hill is about 4000 feet above sea level and run by many Maasai athletes - they were so fast which wasn't surprising as all they had to lug up was their muscles (not a drop of extra fat on them).

Anyway I am totally spent but it was a lovely day.

Tomorrow I will be working with a group of women in Kibera slums! I'm looking forward to that as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment