Wednesday 13 March 2013

Uganda!

Caution is not cowardice; even the ants march armed. (Ugandan Proverb)

I went cautiously into this beautiful fertile country aware of its history of Idi Amin, and of the Kony Insurgency - both devastating periods for the people of the country. But I was also aware of Uganda's recovery begun with the rule of Musevani and his restoration of the traditional kings (albeit without powers) in 1993. So onward I marched, armed with knowledge and belief that Uganda would not be a violent place but a place of peace where these gentle, generous people lived impoverished lives but extended their arms to help those in need. They even put on music in the village for me my first night and we danced - a traditional ritual that is done after any meeting.
The children and adults all danced with the mzungu!

Lutengo is a small village about 30 km east of Kampala and about the same number of km west of Jinja where Lake Victoria feeds the mouth of the Nile. It is remote and reached by dirt road and has w little infrastructure but some electricity. I stayed at Issa Kirarira, Chair of Interchange Uganda and his lovely wife Florence - who is studying Nursing while on leave from the Army. She had worked in Somalia for two years are took leave to further her studies so she could help her community by offering support to women prenatal and delivery as well as being able to treat malaria and other illnesses that strike the villagers. Issa and Interchange built a well so the women could get fresh water thereby lessening disease in the community. Issa and Florence welcome all manner of people and open their home to families and individuals who need food or a bed.

While in Uganda, I met with women from the North who had suffered under the Kony insurgency, becoming displaced, losing all they owned and leaving behind the orphans of their siblings. This continues to haunt them as they have little income to care for the children far away, and seek to find peace within themselves - the peace rarely felt by those who survive.

I also attended schools to talk about peace and to encourage them. Knowing that a mzungu was coming, they spent hours writing poems and practicing in order to perform for me. We ended one event planting a Peace tree. (I cannot seem to upload the video).

Below is a photograph of a woman (the mother in law of Issa's sister - who sits on the chair) who is over 90 years old. She weaves intricate baskets and, as I was a friend of Issa's and a mzungu (I imagine) she gave me one. Such generosity is not unusual with Ugandans. I did not meet one person who wasn't caring for cousins or nieces or nephews or helping out a stray!
And of course . . where there are women, there are children!
 children with the women from the North.
 A young girl waiting for my meeting with women to end.
children who befriended me suring a soccer game of the Peace Team in Lutengo. the little girl on the far right commented the entire game on the quality of play and the players (I think).

Oh, there is so much more, but that is all for now




No comments:

Post a Comment